Decolonizing the documentary has been a recurring theme at IDFA, the world’s largest documentary film festival, since Orwa Nyrabia became the Artistic Director in 2018. Under his leadership, the festival has been tackling the difficult questions of representation, equity and inclusion.
Who has the power to represent and narrate? How can arts and cultural institutions challenge hegemonic powers, amplify marginalized voices and foster a more equitable and representative cultural landscape?
In this conversation, we ask Orwa Nyrabia to talk about his experience and vision leading IDFA. Afterwards, he will be joined by Anne Szefer Karlsen to continue the discussion on the critical role major festivals and established cultural institutions can play in reshaping the cultural narrative, acknowledging historical injustices, and embracing diversity and inclusion.
This conversation is part of Masahat Screens where we spend the last day of Masahat festival at VEGA Scene.
- PART I: Bloody Beans. Buy tickets HERE.
- 14:30-16:00: Bloody Beans (2013, 80 mins) dir. Narimane Mari
- PART II: Conversation + short films. Buy tickets HERE.
- 16:00-17:15: Decolonize the Gaze with Orwa Nyrabia in conversation with Anne Szefer Karlsen
- 17:15-18:00: Mingling + finger food with Orwa Nyrabia and Masahat Screens guests
- 18:00-19:00: Litanies against fear (55 mins), a short films program curated and introduced by Maha Maamoun.